Friday, May 10, 2013

Review of California Caress

Amazon        B&N
California Caress 
by Rebecca Sinclair
3 of 5 Stars

Description:
Hope Bennett was determined to save her brother's life. And if that meant paying notorious gunslinger Drake Frazier to take his place in a fight, she'd barter her last gold nugget. But Hope soon discovered she'd have to give the handsome rattlesnake more than riches if she wanted his help. His improper demands infuriated her; even as she luxuriated in the tantalizing heat of his embrace, she refused to yield to her desires. She'd accept his terms, then find a way to escape him... somehow... 
(From Goodreads) 

 Review:

I haven't read a western in so long and I was excited when I picked this one up. I have to admit, the cover got me.
The plot was interesting and had some unexpected twists, but the pace did slow towards the middle. The story did keep with the time period.
Hope is a strong wild woman who is bent on saving her brother. She heads into a saloon looking for the one gunslinger who can help her.
Drake is taken aback by the woman who stumbles into his room. After Hope explains what she wants him to do, fight on her brother's behalf, and offers to pay him all the money her family has left, he states that he isn't interested in her money. Drake is interested in her. With some reservations, Hope agrees, but does not intend to keep her end of the bargain.
I enjoyed Drakes character but I would have liked to read a little more of his POV. Hope dominated the story a bit for me, but I did like her character. She dealt with a lot and kept moving on.
I gave this book 3 stars because of the pacing issue and the lack of Drake's POV. I didn't really know what he was thinking or what he was feeling - one chapter he seems to be over the moon for Hope and the next he seems to not care. With the disconnect of his feelings the relationship between the characters was a bit off for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews