Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review of Kiss of Pride

Kiss of Pride (Deadly Angels 
Amazon            B&N
by Sandra Hall
3 of 5 Stars

Some men are too bad to be true . . .
Is he really a Viking with a vampire's bite? An angel with the body of a thunder god? A lone wolf with love on his mind? Alexandra Kelly, his prey, thinks Vikar Sigurdsson is either flat-out crazy or he's trying to maneuver her into his bed—which is hardly where a professional reporter should conduct an interview, tempting as that prospect might be.
And some men are too good to be true . . .
Until Vikar does something a teensy bit unexpected, and Alex begins to wonder whether her mystery man could really be everything he says he is: a Viking Vampire Angel on a thousand-year-long mission with his pack of sinful brothers—and a man who's finally found the woman of his dreams. By then, Vikar is already wrapping his chiseled arms around Alex's body . . . and sinking his wicked fangs right into her neck. If this is sin, why does it feel so good?
(From Amazon)


Review:
Whoa. There is so much going on with this book/premise I don't really even know where to begin. The hero is a Viking turned vampire/angel by the archangel, Michael. These Vangels also have the ability to travel through time and is a SEAL from time to time...Yeah. Its a lot.

I must say, this was an original idea, which is what snagged my interest in the beginning.
The hero, Vikar, has purchased a large manor in Transylvania, Pennsylvania - a town that is vampire crazy! The heroine, Alexandra (Alex for short) is a reporter. She is sent to write a story about the vampire obsession in the small town. She was not prepared to meet a Viking vampire angel or to be ensnared in his crazy world. Together, they fend off real vampire attacks, skirt the edge of sin with their "near-sex" and stand tall before Michael when he comes to pass judgement on all the Vangels. 
The characters worked well together,  I enjoyed Alex's snark and Vikar's rouge personality. However, the two together did not mesh for me. I didn't feel like they were a natural couple nor did I feel that either one really came to life. They did have back stories, but they did not have enough depth more me and neither did their relationship. I did not feel the emotion. Also, I felt this book was unnecessarily long and there were a lot of characters introduced - all 6 of Vikar's brothers plus other Vangels. 
Overall, I did enjoy the book. Some of the side characters did capture my interest and I'm interested in their stories.  This is a different idea and take on vampires. I will give the second book a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews