Thursday, February 9, 2012

Review of Wicked (St. John-Duras #2)

Nook/B&N
Wicked (St. John Duras #)
by Susan Johnson
4.5 of 5

Description:
Serena Blythe's plan to escape a life of servitude had gone terribly awry. So she took the only course left to her. She sneaked aboard a sleek yacht about to set sail--and found herself face-to-face with a dangerous, sensual stranger. Beau St. Jules, the Earl of Rochefort, had long surpassed his father's notoriety as a libertine. Less well known was his role as intelligence-gatherer for England. Yet even on a mission to seek vital war information, he couldn't resist practicing his well-polished seduction on the beautiful, disarmingly innocent stowaway. And in the weeks to come, with battles breaking out on the continent and Serena's life in peril, St. Jules would risk everything to rescue the one woman who'd finally captured his heart. 

Review:
One word to explain this book: SEXY!
I mean, wow, this book sizzles.
I am a sucker for romance novels, though I do feel there are way too many set the regency era, but that is because I love Vikings.
The characters are perfect for each other, which adds to the awe chemistry they share.
Serena is a woman who knows what she wants out of life and Beau is the typical man who thinks he knows what he wants (money, sex, no strings, nothing to hold him down or hold him back) But in the end, she shows him a thing or two about love and he comes chasing after her.


The only thing that kept me from giving this book a 5 of 5 is that I did feel that the book focus more on the physical relationship between the hero and heroine, rather than their emotional relationship. If had expected that when I began to read the book, I don't think I would have been disapointed. In the end, a romance novel is just that, a romance novel and the love scenes should add to the plot not be the plot - there is an entirely different genre for those books (which do have a special place on my bookshelf).
I have read a couple of Susan Johnson's books and if you are looking for a regency romance with spice, you should check out her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews